Essay Contest Information
ESSAY CONTEST CONTEST THEMES:
The Monmouth County Historical Commission is pleased to announce an essay contest to promote historic preservation and history. Alternate themes are offered this year.
1) Write about a Monmouth County historical place that you have visited and how that place helped you to appreciate our history.
2) Write about an event that is important to your family’s history (your grandparents’ generation or earlier) and tell why. ELIGIBILITY & RULES
1. Entry is open to all Monmouth County fifth grade students.
2. Depict the above theme in about 300 words
(see space restriction below), describing the place or family event and how it affects your appreciation for Monmouth’s history or family history.
3. Students must write legibly, print in ink or type on ONE SIDE OF 81/2 X 11” PAPER ONLY. ENTRIES SUBMITTED ON MORE THAN ONE PAGE MAY LOSE ELIGIBILITY. The back of the front page must contain the student's name and age, school address, school telephone number and teacher's name. Do not place the student’s name on the front page. The contest is judged in anonymity. Please do not use a cover sheet. All submissions should include a title header about the subject matter.
Teachers: Please enclose a typed list of participating students' names to prevent misspelled certificates. If essays are done as a class project, they should be submitted by the school as a class project.
4. DEADLINE - ENTRIES MUST BE POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN MARCH 2, 2020.
5. Mail Entries to:
MONMOUTH COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION
HALL OF RECORDS ANNEX, 2ND FLOOR
FREEHOLD, NJ 07728
6. All entries will become the property of the Monmouth County Historical Commission. Entries will not be returned.
7. Places need not be major historical sites, but should have some importance to history.
8. CRITERIA FOR JUDGING – WRITING SKILL, ACCURACY AND NEATNESS. Judges for the contest will be members of the Monmouth County Historical Commission.
Awards will be presented as follows:
1ST PLACE - $100 Book Store Gift Card
2ND PLACE - $75 Book Store Gift Card
3RD PLACE - $50 Book Store Gift Card
All participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.
Winners will be notified by early May 2020 with a request for permission
to use the student’s name and image in contest press releases.