Monmouth County Care Center privatization sale
On March 24, 2015 the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders held a public meeting to hear a presentation about the two Monmouth County Care Centers, discuss the possibility of selling one or both of the facilities and to hear public comment on the topic. At the end of the two and one-half hour meeting, the freeholders voted in the affirmative to authorize the County Administrator and County Counsel to take the steps necessary to privatize the John L. Montgomery Care Center and the Geraldine L. Thompson Care Center.
The process to convey the facilities and operation of the two care facilities is advancing in accordance with local land use law and requirements of the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services.
Care Center Privatization/Sale timeline
- 3/24/15 – Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders authorized the County Administrator and County Counsel to take the steps necessary to privatize the Monmouth County Care Centers (Care Centers): John L. Montgomery Care Center (JLM) and the Geraldine L. Thompson Care Center (GLT).
- 5/4/15 - Freeholders approve resolution to designating Marcus & Millichap, Elmwood Park, NJ to serve as the real estate professional in connection with marketing the sale of the Care Centers.
- 5/14/15 - County amends resolution 2015-48 to appoint Archer & Greiner, P.C., of Red Bank, NJ to provide legal services in connection with the privatization of the Care Centers.
- 8/3/15 - First Public Hearing on the proposed sale of both GLT and JLM was held at the Monmouth County Hall of Records, One East Main Street, Freehold. The hearing was in accordance with the New Jersey Local Lands & Building Law.
- 8/17/15 - Public Hearing #2 on the proposed sale of GLT was held at the Wall Township Municipal Building, 2700 Allaire Road, Wall, New Jersey 07719. The hearing was in accordance with the New Jersey Local Lands & Building Law.
- 8/17/15 - Public Hearing #2 on the proposed sale of JLM was held at the Monmouth County Agriculture Building, 4000 Kozloski Road, Freehold. The hearing was in accordance with the New Jersey Local Lands & Building Law.
- 8/27/15 – Freeholders approve resolution for the advertisement of the sale of both Care Centers. Marcus and Millichap to handle.
- 10/20/15 - 1 p.m. Public Auction for receipt of bids for the purchase of the Care Centers. The auction will be held a the Monmouth County Agricultural Building, 4000 Kozloski Road, Freehold, New Jersey 07728.
- Closing date for the transfer of property - to be set during the post-auction due diligence analysis of successful bidder(s) to begin (± 70 days).
- 10/20/15 – Public auction for receipt of bids. Two successful bidders: $32.7 million combined. Post –auction due diligence analysis of potential buyers begins (± 70 days).
- 11/10/15 – 303 layoff notices issued to Care Center employees: GLT 149 notices/ JLM 154 notices. Potential effective date is Dec. 27, 2015 (45 days)
- 11/16/15 – Successful bidders made application to NJ Dept. of Health for approval to become the new owners of the facilities. NJ DOH has ±90 days to render decision
- 12/10/15 – County continues to renew and award supply and service contracts to keep the Care Center facilities open and operational until the transfer of ownership can be completed.