Frequently asked Questions

What areas are served?
Areas served: All of Monmouth County.

What are our objectives?
MCDOT provides transportation services for seniors 60 years of age,and we also offer service to permanently or temporarily disabled residents of Monmouth County. This service is provided through our in-house operation. All of our drivers have the proper qualifications, including appropriate background checks.

How Do You Apply?
There is no application to fill out. All you have to do is call our office and our intake personnel will process your information and advise you if you need to provide anything further. It is a very simple process. (732) 431-6480 option # 1.

Are There Fees Involved?
Fares: Start at $3.00 but can go as high as $10.00; you will be advised at the time you book your trip what the cost will be. Fares are to be paid to the driver when boarding the vehicle; the client must have exact change and no checks are accepted. Dialysis clients are charged $6.00 each way.

What are Ages/requirements to qualify?
Senior Citizens (over 60), permanently or temporarily disabled and selected portions of the public in rural areas of Monmouth County.

What are our Funding Sources?
Fares, contributions, Federal, State and County grants.

Handicapped Access:
All vehicles are wheelchair accessible.

What are the Requirements for Disability?
You must be permanently or temporarily disabled and be able to provide proof such as a Medicare card or documentation from a medical professional.

If an aide is needed to ride with our senior or disabled person, or do you provide one?
No, we do however allow our client to make application with us for a Personal Care Attendant of their choosing. Once we have received the completed request form (that we will provide to you) and it is approved by management the attendant may ride with you at no cost. If you do not need a Personal Care Attendant but would feel more comfortable riding with someone familiar, we will allow our client to make application for a companion. If approved there will be a charge added to that trip.

We do not have a wheelchair; do you provide one?
No, you must provide your own wheelchair and it must be in good, safe working order. Wheelchairs that can not be secured can cause danger to the riders and also to the other riders that may be traveling at the same time. It is the responsibility of the client to keep their chair in good working order and to notify the reservationist at the time of booking that you will be using your chair.

Will I be safe traveling on a SCAT bus?
All our buses are inspected daily and are equipped with seatbelts and emergency exits.

Service Animals and Oxygen tanks
Service animals are permitted to travel with our clients but must be secured and under thecontrol of the owner/client. Oxygen tanks are also allowed but it is the responsibility of the client to make sure that they have enough oxygen in the tank in the event the vehicle is delayed for any reason.

Addendum D: Rider's Rights / Non-Discrimination Policy

Monmouth County Division of Transportation is committed to ensuring that no person is excluded from or denied the benefits of our services on the basis of race, color, or national origin as protected by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended. Any person who believes that they have, individually, or as a member of any specific class of persons, been subjected to discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin, may file a complaint in writing to Monmouth County Division of Transportation. To file a complaint, or for more information on Monmouth County Division of Transportation obligations under Title VI write to: 250 Center Street, Freehold, NJ 07728 or visit, Transportation services provided by this agency are in whole or part funded through federal funds received through NJ TRANSIT and as an individual you also have the right to file your complaint under Title VI to NJ TRANSIT by writing to: New Jersey Transit Customer Service – Title VI Division, One Penn Plaza East, Newark, N.J. 07105 or visit A complaint must be filed within 180 days of the allege

Copyright © 2024 Monmouth County, NJ. All Rights Reserved.Privacy Policy and Disclaimer