Financial Assistance

"Your Needs Are Our Concern"


Work First New Jersey provides financial and medical assistance (see Medical Assistance) to families through the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program. Financial and medical assistance to single adults is provided through the General Assistance program. Eligibility for assistance is based on income and resource guidelines and is limited to a maximum of five years over a person's lifetime. There are certain situations which may qualify for an extension of cash assistance beyond the five year limit.

Special requirements
In order to receive assistance, it is necessary to cooperate with child support requirements and to actively look for work or participate in an approved work activity. Special requirements apply to recipients of WFNJ who have a problem with drugs or alcohol or who are victims of domestic violence.

You must be a U.S. citizen or qualified alien resident to receive WFNJ benefits.

Applications for TANF are taken at all MCDSS offices. Responsibility for the General Assistance (GA) Program is shared by MCDSS and certain local municipalities. Also see Application Forms Section.

Adults without dependents living in their household who reside in Monmouth County towns listed below may apply at any MCDSS office. Residents of other Monmouth County towns must apply with their local Municipal Welfare Director. 

MCDSS is responsible for General Assistance Cases in the following areas (as of August 2009). If a municipality is not listed,  General Assistance is the responsibility of the Municipal Welfare Director in that municipality.

  • Aberdeen Township (including Cliffwood, Cliffwood Beach)
  • Allenhurst
  • Allentown
  • Asbury Park
  • Atlantic Highlands
  • Bradley Beach, Brielle
  • Colts Neck Township
  • Deal
  • Eatontown
  • Englishtown
  • Fairhaven
  • Freehold Borough
  • Hazlet Township (including West Keansburg)
  • Highlands, Holmdel, Howell (including Adelphia) 
  • Interlaken
  • Keansburg
  • Keyport
  • Loch Arbour
  • Long Branch (including Elberon, West End)
  • Manalapan Township (including Gordons Corner, Millhurst)
  • Manasquan
  • Marlboro Township, Matawan
  • Millstone Township (including Clarksburg, Perrineville, Roosevelt)
  • Monmouth Beach, Morganville (including Wickatunk)
  • Neptune Township (including Ocean Grove)
  • Ocean Township (including Oakhurst, Wanamassa, Wayside, West Allenhurst, West Deal)
  • Oceanport
  • Red Bank
  • Roosevelt
  • Rumson
  • Sea Bright
  • Shrewsbury Township
  • South Belmar (Lake Como)
  • Spring Lake
  • Tinton Falls (including Reeveytown)
  • Union Beach
  • Upper Freehold Township (including Cream Ridge, Imlaystown)


Kinship caregivers – adults who are raising a relative's child(ren) in their own homes – may qualify for monthly assistance to help support the children. The Kinship Navigator Program is administered by the NJ Department of Human Services. For more information on kinship subsidies or legal guardianship, call the Kinship Navigator at 1-877-816-3211.


Home Energy Assistance (HEA)
Assistance is available to help pay for heating or medically-necessary cooling costs. Applicants for Food Stamps automatically apply for HEA when applying for these programs. No other application is necessary. For further information see Energy Assistance.

Other Monmouth County residents who feel they may call Affordable Housing Alliance 732-389-2204.

New Jersey Shares
This program provides assistance to gas and electric customers unable to pay utility bills. The customer must be at the point of service shut off ar at risk for shut off. Funding is limited. Applications are available from either MCDSS by calling 732-431-6000 or by calling the Affordable Housing Alliance at 732-389-2204.


Funds may be available for assistance with funeral and burial expenses for recipients of certain programs and indigent individuals. Restrictions apply. Call Freehold Office for requirements.


Assistance with food is provided through the Food Stamp Program . Food vouchers are also available on an emergency basis for food from local food pantries. See Food Assistance .


Depending on the family situation, services are provided to both TANF and the general public for  Child Support and paternity.


Recipients of TANF, GA and SSI may be eligible for assistance with housing emergencies, utility deposits, rent arrears or utility arrears. See Housing Assistance .

Copyright © 2024 Monmouth County, NJ. All Rights Reserved.Privacy Policy and Disclaimer